3/13/2020 12:39 PM
SUBJECT: University Announcement Regarding COVID-19
Dear Peacock Alumni,
This message is to provide an update to our Peacock Family about UIU’s actions related to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. The health and safety of our students, employees and visitors are a top priority at Upper Iowa University. With this in mind, University leadership and emergency operations personnel continue to communicate with and receive guidance from public health officials with regard to COVID-19. We are closely monitoring the situation and planning diligently for all scenarios as the situation continues to evolve quickly.
UIU’s current course of action, as announced to students and staff on March 12, 2020:
- In-person classes: UIU is currently on its Spring Break between Sessions 3 and 4. UIU is delaying the start of Session 4 for a one week period of time. Classes that are scheduled as in-person classes will now start the week of March 23. This means that spring Session 4 will be a 7-week session. Faculty are also being asked to prepare to migrate all courses to be delivered online should public health officials advise against face-to-face instruction at any of our locations. As you know, UIU has delivered exceptional online classes since 1999 and we are confident that UIU is better positioned than most to ensure course objectives are met even during this challenging time.
- Online: Courses that are scheduled to be delivered online will still start the week of March 16 and will follow the normal 8-week session format.
- Fayette Campus: Out of an abundance of caution, Fayette students are being asked not to return to the Fayette Campus until March 22. International students or students needing to reside on campus in the meantime will be allowed to do so and have been asked to contact Student Life to make arrangements to return to campus. A number of precautions are being taken on campus to mitigate risk.
- Athletics: On Thursday, March 12, the NCAA announced that all winter and spring championship competitions are canceled. More information will be made available as it is announced.
- Events: We are reviewing internal and external events scheduled for the upcoming months. At this point, the decision has been made to cancel all Center Graduate Receptions as well as the Honors and Awards Banquet scheduled for Saturday, April 4 at Fayette Campus.
For up-to-date announcements and additional information including prevention, symptoms, external public health resources and FAQ, visit uiu.edu/coronavirus.
The University COVID-19 Planning Team is meeting frequently to monitor current situations for all UIU locations and follow guidance of local public health and Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The intent of these measures is to keep our university community healthy and safe. Thank you for your patience during this rapidly changing situation.
William R. Duffy II, Ed.D., Ed.S.
Upper Iowa University